839 N. Jefferson St. #300, Milwaukee, WI 53202
Nationwide Personal Injury Lawyers
Nationwide Personal Injury Lawyers
Start Your FREE Case Assessment! Now!
Personal injury attorney Milwaukee
414-276-4970 Injured? Take Action

Reporting a death in WI: Call the police then use this 7-day checklist

(click to check off)

Report a Death in Wisconsin:
A Complete Checklist of Who to Notify

I. Report a Death to Government Agencies

II. Report a Death to Financial Agencies

III. Insurance & Annuity Companies

IV. Credit Reporting Agencies

V. Memberships

VI. Do Not Contact Lists

Download the Checklist PDF

Report a wrongful death in Wisconsin

The death of someone close to you is difficult enough, but not knowing where to start with notifying the appropriate state and government agencies, financial institutions, insurance, and credit card companies makes it even harder. We’ve put together this overview to help those dealing with the death of a loved one.

If you are caring for someone who is seriously ill or in hospice, it’s a good idea to review this checklist and start looking up any phone numbers you may need when the time comes. You have enough to deal with, so being one step ahead in the process will make it a little less stressful.

Warshafsky Law handles claims of death in a professional manner in all cases, including but not limited to: nursing home abuse, construction accidents, auto accidents, medical malpractice, and negligent/wrongful death.

We recommend reporting a death in a timely manner in order to minimize the risk of identity theft. When reporting a death in Wisconsin, your first contact will likely be over the phone. In most cases, you’ll need to follow up with a written verification. For this, you will need a death certificate and the Social Security number of the decedent.

How Can Warshafsky Law Help?

There are situations where a death is caused by the neglect or carelessness of another person. A nursing home that fails to properly administer medications, for instance. Or a reckless driver who causes a crash that kills your wife. These people need to be held accountable, and your loss needs to be handled as the serious matter it is.

Someone might be only 10% accountable for your loved one's death, and that, more than ever, means you need quality representation in court to be able to prove their guilt and get compensation. Contact Warshafsky Law for a full case analysis today, and get the help you deserve.

When people choose their Wisconsin personal injury lawyer based on the endorsement of a football player or actor, they risk choosing an attorney who has never won more money in a courtroom. Settlement mills forward your paperwork and take a cut of your damages.

Hundreds of times we have prepared cases like yours beyond the brink of trial. Facing unlimited liability AND an expensive jury trial, insurance companies fess up what your case is worth. They HATE when you choose Warshafsky. Insurance companies know: it IS about the money.

If you believe the death of your spouse or family member was caused by the negligent or careless actions of someone else, or because of an unsafe product, contact Warshafsky Law in Wisconsin. We cannot bring your loved one back, but we can hold those responsible for his/her death accountable and secure compensation for your loss.

Who to Notify When Someone Dies

Reporting a Death to Government Agencies

  • Social Security Administration800-772-1213
  • Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles, 608-264-7447 (if decedent had a driver’s license)
  • Wisconsin Department of Veteran Affairs608-266-1311 (if decedent served in the military)
  • Defense Finance and Accounting Service800-269-5170 (for military service retirees receiving benefits)
  • Office of Personnel Management888-767-6738 (if decedent worked as a federal civil service employee)
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service800-375-5283 (if decedent was not a U.S. citizen)

>> Back to Top

Reporting a Death to Banks & Other Financial Institutions

  • Banks, credit unions, savings and loan associations
  • Credit card companies
  • Mortgage companies and lenders
  • Pension plan companies
  • Financial planners and stockbrokers

>> Back to Top

Reporting a Death to Insurance & Annuity Companies

  • Health, medical and dental insurance companies
  • Life insurance and annuity companies
  • Disability insurance company
  • Auto insurance company
  • Mutual benefit companies

>> Back to Top

Reporting a Death to Memberships, Clubs, & Organizations

  • Unions and professional associations
  • Health clubs and gyms
  • Automobile clubs
  • Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions, and other organizations
  • Alumni clubs and associations

>> Back to Top

Reporting a Death to Credit Reporting Agencies

  • Experian, 888-397-3742, P.O. Box 9701, Allen, Texas 75013
  • Equifax, 800-525-6285, P.O. Box 105069, Atlanta, Georgia 30348
  • TransUnion, 800-680-7289, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, California 92834

You’ll need to notify the three national credit reporting agencies listed below and request they list all accounts as “Closed. Account Holder is Deceased.” You should also request a credit report to view recent activity on the account and a list of all creditors.

>> Back to Top

Reporting a Death to Do Not Contact Lists

The Direct Marketing Association charges a fee of $1 to list a decedent on their Deceased Do Not Contact List. Once the name is posted, the decedent’s name will be removed from the mailing lists of all members of the Direct Marketing Association.

>> Back to Top

Contact Warshafsky Law for help reporting a death in Wisconsin and to get the compensation you deserve when a loved one dies in Wisconsin.